Sorry I haven’t blogged lately. And I’m sorry I left a post about ice cream up so long into Lent.
I don’t have enough for a real post, so I thought I’d give a smattering. Sort of like “quick takes,” a wonderful idea from Jen of Conversion Diary. The only problem is that it isn’t Friday, so I’m either a little late or a little early. And I don’t think I have 7. but here we go.
1) I read all weekend. Well, almost all weekend. After I saw the BBC mini-series North & South (fantastic– please, go watch it right now) I decided I wanted to read the Elizabeth Gaskell novel on which it was based. After seeing the mini-series Wives & Daughters, also based on an Elizabeth Gaskell novel, I began that book and really liked it, but unfortunately began it on a plane to Rome… so I didn’t finish it (Rome got in the way) and then had to leave the book behind in Rome because it wouldn’t fit in my suitcase. (I also had to leave a pair of shoes. Among other things.)
So I got North & South from the library, but had to get it from Inter-Library Loan — and then forgot to renew it when I needed to… and it was due today. I’m really bad with overdue books, so I really wanted to return it today. That meant I had 300+ pages to read this weekend. And I did it!
It was a good book, although I wouldn’t say go out and read it right now… while I would tell you to go watch the mini-series right now. Oh, wait, I already did.
2) This Saturday was absolutely gorgeous. So I did take a break from reading to go on a walk.
3) I love OnDemand. I missed two of my food shows last night — Next Great Restaurant on NBC (which I watch almost exclusively for Bobby Flay and Curtis Stone) and Chopped All Stars, but I was okay missing them because I knew I could watch them tonight OnDemand.
4) I’m throwing a St. Patrick’s Day party on Thursday. It was something I had been thinking of for awhile, and yet I feel like I just decided to do it out of the blue. Maybe because I have absolutely nothing I need for it. Except for Irish music. I have that.
5) Why hasn’t anyone told me that eggs & cream cheese together on a bagel is really good? It’s probably really bad for me, but its so yummy. There’s a little coffeeshop near my apartment that serves bagel sandwiches until 10am. I went once after Mass and had a really delicious one… but it was sort of a fluke, because it was after 10 and they still made it for me. (I didn’t even see the sign that says they only serve until 10). The next time I went, they said they couldn’t make it — it was 10:15. Jeesh. 10:15 is still breakfast time! Well, it’s impossible for me to go to 8:30am Mass, make a nice thanksgiving after Mass, socialize with anyone outside of church, and then get to the coffeeshop by 10. So I decided to just make my own sandwich. It’s slightly modified from their recipe:
1 multigrain bagel
1 egg, scrambled.
1 slice of Havarti cheese, melted on one side of the bagel
a thin layer of vegetable cream cheese (Neufchatel, to be exact) on the other side of the bagel
That’s it for now.